Hybridization in coordination compound:
The main application of Valence Bond Theory is to predict hybridization in a coordination compound.
- Hybridization is the concept of mixing of atomic orbital into a new hybrid orbital.
- For example, if one s-orbital combine with one p-orbital it will form a new sp hybrid orbital.
sp3 hybrid orbital = one s-orbital + three p-orbital
sp2d hybrid orbital = one s-orbital + two p-orbital + three p-orbital
sp3d2 hybrid orbital = one s-orbital + three p-orbital + two d-orbital
- The coordination number of the metal atom or ion decide the hybridization and geometry of the complex.
- If the coordination number is 6 two possibilities is there i.e.
2. Outer orbital Octahedral complex ( sp3d2hybridization)
But, both the hybridization leads to Octahedral geometry.
- If the coordination number is 4 there is the possibilities of two types of geometry i.e.
2. Square planar complex( dsp2hybridization)