- Compound having same chemical formula but different arrangement in their constituent atoms are called isomers.
- Due to the complicated formula of many coordination compound, their is a possibility of different types of bond and number of shapes, so different types of isomerism may occur.
- Since their atoms are arranged differently, therefore, isomers have different physical and chemical properties(colour, melting point, boiling point and solubility) with different reactivity also.
- Coordination compound exhibit the same types of isomer as organic compound.
- Isomers are mainly classified into two types i.e.
2. Stereo isomerism
- Structural isomerism is further classified into seven types i.e.
2. Hydrate isomerism
3. Linkage isomerism
4. Coordination isomerism
5. Coordination position isomerism
6. Ligand isomerism
7. Polymerization isomerism
- And stereo isomerism is classified into two types i.e.
2. Optical isomerism
I will update in detail about this topic in my next article.